Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure youâ€™re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing theÂ FP911Challenge. Not sure how to play? Don’t worry, because Dan Stack’s got you covered with aÂ quick tutorial and some tips for this week.
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Saturday, July 7th.
5 Good Nights
- Andruw Jones: 3-9, 3 R, 3 HR, 3 RBI
- Jered Weaver:Â 8.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 5 K’s, W
- James McDonald:Â 7.0 IP, 4 H, ER, 10 K’s, W
- Pedro Ciriaco:Â 4-9, 2 R, 4 RBI, 1 steal
- Gavin Floyd:Â 7.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 3 K’s, W
Honorable Mention:Â Drew Stubbs, Martin Prado, Mark Teixeira, Nick Swisher, Billy Butler, Kyle Seager, Mike Moustakas, Adrian Beltre, Alcides Escobar, Jason Vargas, Dillon Gee, Kyle Lohse, Tommy Hanson, Trevor Cahill, Ryan Vogelsong, Jeff Samardzija, Freddy Garcia, Homer Baily, Gio Gonzalez, Ricky Romero, Wandy Rodriguez, Ubaldo Jimenez
5 Bad Nights
- Franklin Morales:Â 3.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 2 BB’s, 2 K’s
- Jose Valverde:Â 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 2 BB’s, K
- Matt Moore: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 2 BB’s, 3 K’s
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia: 0-5
- Dustin Ackley:Â 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Alex Rodriguez, Bruce Chen, Jarrod Parker, Clayton Richard, Joe Blanton, Doug Fister, Chad Billingsley, Carlos Zambrano, Phil Hughes, Samuel Deduno, Jeff Francis,Â
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Giancarlo Stanton will miss the next four to six weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery. Ugh…
- Zack Greinke was ejected in the first inning of yesterday’s game and could potentially start today, so make sure you leave him in your lineup just in case he does.
- Brett Lawrie left yesterday’s game with back tightness and is questionable for today’s game. I’d play it safe and find another option at third for daily leagues today.
- Carl Crawford (elbow) has been pulled from his rehab assignment and will be shut down for five days after suffering a groin strain. He’s still worth keeping on your DL, but I think we need to lower our expectations yet again.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/BauerÂ Watch:Â With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE:Â Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 1-4 with one run yesterday. (.283, 43 R, 8 HR, 25 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 0-3 with one run, two RBI, and 3 steals yesterday. Â (.343, 56 Runs, 11 HR, 39 RBI, 26 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo:Â Rizzo went 2-4 yesterday. (.386, 7 R, 4 HR, 9 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer:Â Bauer will face the Los Angeles Dodgers as he makes his third start of the season today. (0-1, 9.82 ERA, 2.45 WHIP, 7 K’s on the season)
Starting and sitting the right pitchers on a day-to-day basis is often theÂ linchpinÂ of winning any league – roto, head-to-head, daily, and otherwise. In order to give you some help picking your pitchers for today, I’ve gone through all the stats I could (pitchers’ career numbers vs. certain hitters and lineups, home/road splits, lefty/righty splits, etc) and made nine recommendations. I’m not going to proclaim that I’ll get these 100% correct all season, but anyone that does should be sitting on an island they own in the Pacific – not writing fantasy baseball articles. The goal here is to play the odds the entire season and slowly build your “win” percentage closer to 100% than to 50%.
Here’s Tuesdays recommendations with,Â 3 UpÂ (three pitchers you shouldn’t think of sitting),Â 3 DownÂ (three pitchers with some warning flags for today), andÂ Throwing DartsÂ (three pitchers that I’ll be taking a flier on):
Felix HernandezÂ at Oakland A’s
Chris SaleÂ vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Johnny CuetoÂ at San Diego Padres
Anibal SanchezÂ at St. Louis Cardinals
Jon LesterÂ vs. New York Yankees
Ivan NovaÂ at Boston Red Sox
Wei-Yin ChenÂ at Los Angeles Angels
Trevor Bauer vs.Â Los Angeles Dodgers
Bartolo Colon vs. Seattle Mariners
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
A hitter’s career numbers against a pitcher don’t always tell the whole story, but it can be informative if used correctly. I’m of the opinion thatÂ someÂ information is better thanÂ none, and while there are other pieces to the puzzle of setting your daily lineup (splits, weather, etc.), I think a hitter’s career numbers against a pitcher can be very indicative of future success or failure. Some guys just own certain pitchers, and vice versa.Â As such, I’ve gone through today’s matchups and picked the best (and worst) matchups I could find. Anything less than 12-15 career at-bats is a relatively small sample-size (so take those with a grain of salt), but sometimes that’s all that is available.
- Matt HollidayÂ is 7-for-14 (.500) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Anibal Sanchez.
- Carlos BeltranÂ is 7-for-18 (.589) with one home run in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Anibal Sanchez.
- Derek Jeter Â is 17-for-49 Â (.347) with one home run in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jon Lester.
- Jimmy RollinsÂ is 6-for-32 (.188) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jair Jurrjens.
- Melky CabreraÂ is 2-for-21 (.095) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â A.J. Burnett.
- Coco CrispÂ is 8-for-42 (.190)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Felix Hernandez.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Greg Marta takes a look at today’s pitching matchups in the latest edition ofÂ Pitch or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin examines the always-turning Closer Carousel in this week’sÂ Blown Opportunities.
- Albert Lang’s weeklyÂ Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-StarsÂ help give you an idea of who’s hot and who’s not.
- The calendar has turned to July, which means it’s time to start talking fantasy football! Before you start mock drafting, make sure you check out Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, includingÂ Quarterback,Â Running Back,Â Wide Receiver,Â Tight End, andÂ Strength of Schedule.