Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure youâ€™re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing theÂ FP911Challenge. Don’t know how to play? Dan Stack’s got you covered with a quick tutorial and some tips for this week.
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Sunday, July 1st.
5 Good Nights
- Trevor Plouffe:Â 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
- Travis Wood:Â 7.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 4 K’s, W
- Kip Wells:Â 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 K’s, W
- Ryan Zimmerman:Â 3-5, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI
- Dee Gordon:Â 2-5, R, RBI, 3 steals
Honorable Mention:Â Brendan Ryan, Logan Forsythe, Dustin Pedroia, Irving Falu, Josh Willingham, Colby Rasmus, Drew Butera, Freddie Freeman, Michael McKenry, Ryan Theriot, Mike Trout, Shelley Duncan, Buster Posey, Eric Hosmer, Phil Hughes, Jason Vargas, Ryan Vogelsong, Travis Blackley, Ricky Nolasco, Justin Masterson, Yu Darvish, Yovani Gallardo, Josh Collmenter, Drew Pomeranz, C.J. Wilson
5 Bad Nights
- Erik Bedard:Â 4.2 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB’s, 5 K’s
- Bruce Chen:Â 5.2 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, BB, 5 K’s
- Brian Matusz:Â 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 3 BB’s, 2 K’s
- Michael Bourn: 0-5
- Zack Cozart:Â 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Gregor Blanco, Garrett Jones, Francisco Cordero, Johnny Venters, Brandon League, Glen Perkins, Jordan Walden, Tim Hudson, Gavin Floyd, Gio Gonzalez, Francisco Liriano, Alex Cobb, Jake Westbrook
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Roy Halladay (shoulder) has now thrown twice in the last three days and is targeting a return to the Phillies shortly after the All-Star break.
- There was no reason to have him on your roster anyway, but Brian Matusz has been demoted to Triple-A Norfolk and will reportedly be replaced by Chris Tillman in the Orioles’ rotation.
- Those of you that are still living in the mid-2000’s shouldn’t get too excited, but Ben Sheets is reportedly a few weeks away from potentially joining the Atlanta Braves. Â Like I said, I wouldn’t get too excited, but I thought it was interesting enough to pass along nonetheless.
- Frank Francisco (strained oblique) will likely return to the Mets right after the All-Star break, so you might want to start trying to flip Bobby Parnell before anyone hears this news!
- Lonnie Chisenhall will miss 1o to 12 weeks with a broken ulna bone in his right forearm.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/BauerÂ Watch:Â With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE:Â Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-4 with two runs yesterday. (.274, 38 R, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-4 with three runs, one home run, and one RBI yesterday. Â (.339, 51 Runs, 9 HR, 33 RBI, 22 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo:Â Rizzo went 1-4 with one run and one RBI yesterday. (.263, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer:Â Bauer’s next start is tomorrow against the Padres. (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 2.00 WHIP, 3 K’s)
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Zack GreinkeÂ vs. Miami Marlins
Jered WeaverÂ at Cleveland Indians
Jason HammelÂ at Seattle Mariners
Clayton RichardÂ at Arizona Diamondbacks
Carlos ZambranoÂ at Milwaukee Brewers
Matt Moore vs. New York Yankees
Doug FisterÂ vs. Minnesota Twins
Homer BaileyÂ at Los Angeles Dodgers
Trevor CahillÂ vs. San Diego Padres
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Justin MorneauÂ is 5-for-9 (.545) with one home run in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Doug Fister.
- Drew StubbsÂ is 4-for-9 (.444) with one home run in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Chad Billingsley.
- Chris YoungÂ is 4-for-12 (.333) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Clayton Richard.
- Joe MauerÂ is hitless in his career (13 at-bats) against todayâ€™s starter,Â Doug Fister.
- Dan UgglaÂ is 1-for-11 (.091) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jeff Samardzija.
- Carlos PenaÂ is 4-for-39 (.103)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Freddy Garcia.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Greg Marta takes a look at today’s pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Dan Stack identifies players that you’ll want to keep on your radar in Players to Watch for Week 14.
- Collin Hager invented his own ranking system, and in case you haven’t seen it yet, you absolutely HAVE to check out his HVaC rankings.
- Collin had a busy weekend and also put together a look at this week’s hitters in Hit or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin examines the latest happenings on the closer carousel in this week’s Blown Opportunities.
- Matthew Dewoskin also dives into some swing percentage research in order to deliver you this week’s double-dose of Leaders and Laggards.
- It’s always important to know which starters have two starts in a week, and Dave Shovein did the work for you in this week’s Double Starters.
- The calendar has turned to July, which means it’s time to start talking fantasy football! Before you start mock drafting, make sure you check out Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, includingÂ Quarterback,Â Running Back,Â Wide Receiver,Â Tight End, andÂ Strength of Schedule.