Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure youâ€™re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing theÂ FP911Challenge.Â Don’t know how to play? Don’t worry, Dan Stack’s got you covered with aÂ quick tutorial and some tips for this week!
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Saturday, June 23rd. (NOTE: I’m traveling all morning and had a REALLY early flight, so I might have missed a few guys from the late games in 5 Good/Bad Nights. While I’m at it, if anyone has any good food/music/bar recommendations for Austin, Texas…please feel free to send them my way!)
5 Good Nights
- Nelson Cruz:Â 3-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Juan Pierre:Â 2-3, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, 2 steals
- Josh Reddick:Â 3-4, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, 1 steal
- Norichika Aoki: 3-4, 2 R, 4 steals
- Johnny Cueto: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 9 K’s, W
Honorable Mention: Michael Saunders, Colby Rasmus, Dayan Viciedo, Will Middlebrooks, Brandon Belt, Andrew McCutchen, Raul Ibanez, Jeff Keppinger, Allen Craig, Matt Holliday, Buster Posey, Michael Bourn, Jonathan Herrera, Dexter Fowler, Josh Hamilton, Dallas Keuchel, Ervin Santana, Adam Wainwright, Chris Capuano, Josh Johnson, Edwin Jackson, Brett Cecil, Franklin Morales, Brad Lincoln
5 Bad Nights
- Randall Delgado:Â 1.1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB’s, K
- Colby Lewis:Â 4.0 IP, 11 H, 7 ER, 6 K’s
- Santiago Casilla:Â 0.0 IP, 2 H, ER, BB’s
- Josh Hamilton: 0-5
- Zack Cozart:Â 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Brandon Crawford, Danny Espinosa, Santiago Casilla, Brian Fuentes, Greg Holland, Jonathan Papelbon, Josh Outman, James Shields, Brian Duensing, Randy Wolf, Jeanmar Gomez, Luis Mendoza, Madison Bumgarner
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Clay Buchholz was scratched from his start today due to illness. This doesn’t sound like it will require him to miss more than one start, but Aaron Cook will take his place on the mound against the Braves today.
- Shaun Marcum won’t make his scheduled start tomorrow as he was placed on the 15-day DL yesterday with elbow soreness. Marcum has already missed one start (the move is retroactive to June 15th), but he’s only expected to miss one more after this as the team isn’t treating this as anything serious.
- Mitch Moreland has been placed on the 15-day DL and will miss four to six weeks with a strained left hamstring.
- Stephen Drew will reportedly return to the Diamondbacks’ lineup next Wednesday. It might be worth checking to see if he’s on your waiver wire if you need help at shortstop/middle infield.
- Chris Carpenter threw to hitters on Friday and didn’t experience any problems with the neck injury that’s kept him out all season. The Cardinals have been reticent to set a timetable, but it’s looking like the former Cy Young winner could return to the team towards the end of July.
- Carl CrawfordÂ (elbow) played in his first minor league game yesterday (he went 0-3 in a DH role), and will look to start playing the field next week. The Red Sox don’t have a definitive timetable for 2011’s prize free-agent acquisition yet, but it’s starting to sound like the All-Star Break is going to be a very realistic target as long as their aren’t any setbacks.
- Speaking of setbacks, Andrew Bailey (thumb) felt discomfort in his arm during a bullpen session yesterday and will slow down in his rehab program. The team isn’t describing this as anything serious, but I think we have to be wary about any type of news like this about Bailey and expect Alfredo Aceves to retain the closer’s role a little longer than we all expected.
- Bryce Harper: Harper went 1-3 with one steal yesterday. (.281, 32 R, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 6 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 1-4 with one steal yesterday . Â (.337, 42 Runs, 7 HR, 29 RBI, 20 steals on the season).
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Matt CainÂ at Oakland A’s
Justin VerlanderÂ at Pittsburgh Pirates
Lance LynnÂ at Kansas City Royals
Scott DiamondÂ at Cincinnati Reds
Matt GarzaÂ at Arizona Diamondbacks
Shuan MarcumÂ at Chicago White Sox
Garrett RichardsÂ vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Alex CobbÂ at Philadelphia Phillies
Edinson VolquezÂ vs. Seattle Mariners
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Albert PujolsÂ is 22-for-70 (.314) with five home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Aaron Harang.
- Chipper JonesÂ is 9-for-26 (.346) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Aaron Cook.
- Carlos LeeÂ is 16-for-44 (.364) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Derek Lowe.
- Matt HollidayÂ is 4-for-18 (.222)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jonathan Sanchez.
- Curtis GrandersonÂ is 3-for-15 (.200)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jonathan Sanchez.
- Prince FielderÂ is 5-for-22 (.227)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Kevin Correia.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Greg Marta takes a look at today’s starting pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Collin Hager and his patented HVaC system use the past 30 days to provideÂ updated rankingsÂ of the top 50 hitters and pitchers.
- Collin Hager’s been a busy bee and also takes a look at this week’s hitters to keep an eye on in the latest edition ofÂ Hit or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin gives you his weekly take on the closer carousel in the newest edition ofÂ Blown Opportunities.
- Albert Lang is back with his weeklyÂ Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-starsÂ (which is always a must-read in my book).
- Don’t forget to check out Patrick DiCaprio and the crew on this week’sÂ Fantasy Baseball Roundtable Show!
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, includingÂ Quarterback,Â Running Back,Â Wide Receiver,Â Tight End, andÂ Strength of Schedule.