Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure youâ€™re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing theÂ FP911Challenge! Don’t know how to play? Don’t worry…Dan Stack’s got you covered with aÂ tutorial and some Week 8 tips.
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Saturday, May 26th.
5 Good Nights
- Mark Teixeira: 4-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Jason Kipnis:Â 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Dayan Viciedo:Â 3-5, 2 R, HR, 5 RBI
- Johan Santana:Â 9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 7 K’s, W
- Kyle Kendrick:Â 9.0 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 4 K’s, W
Honorable Mention:Â Andrew McCutchen, Josh Hamilton, Alex Rios, Danny Espinosa, Paul Konerko, Brandon Phillips, Prince Fielder, Gerardo Parra, Eric Hosmer, Scott Hairston, Â Colby Rasmus, Mark Buehrle, David Price, Josh Beckett, C.C. Sabathia, Wei-Yin Chen
5 Bad Nights
- Dale Thayer:Â 1.0Â IP, 4 H, 5 ER, BB, 1 K
- Derek Lowe:Â 2.1 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 3 K’s
- Zack Greinke: 2.1 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 3 BB’s, 3 K’s
- Jimmy Rollins: 0-5
- Ryan Braun:Â 0-5, RBI
Dishonorable Mention:Â Raul Ibanez, Alejandro De Aza, Alcides Escobar, Zack Cozart, Michael Young, Edwin Encarnacion, J.P. Arencibia, Heath Bell, Fernando Rodney, Jake Peavy, Rafael Dolis, Carl Pavano, Bartolo Colon, Felix Hernandez, Mike Leake, Â Stephen Strasburg, Mike Minor, Henderson Alvarez, Colby Lewis, Jaime Garcia, Clayton Richard, Bud Norris, Madison Bumgarner
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Ernesto Frieri looks like he may be the new closer in Los Angeles after he came on for a four-out save (while Scott Downs was used in the eighth). Mike Scioscia could still use Downs for lefty-heavy ninth innings, but Frieri has been Â nearly unhittable since joining the Angels and looks like the guy to put your money on here.
- Heath Bell was removed from a save opportunity after loading the bases, while Randy Choate came in to pick up the pieces and grab the save. Ozzie Guillen said Bell is still the closer, but I’ve been grabbing Steve Cishek as insurance, just in case.
- Brandon League has been temporarily removed as the Mariners’ closer, and Tom Wilhelmsen will fill-in while League gets his issues straightened-out. The Mariners are going to maximize League’s trade value, so I don’t see this as a long-term situation either.
- With three saves in the past five days, Tyler Clippard looks to have grabbed the Nationals’ closer role by the horns. So much for “closer-by-committee”…
- Rafael Dolis allowed a run for his fourth-straight appearance and will be moved to middle relief for the time being. Shawn Camp and James Russell will split closing duties, but this team has only won 15 games and I feel like this situation is akin to chasing your tail (not worth it).
- Trout/HarperÂ Watch:Â With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up recently, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters for the near future. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab one (or both)!
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-4 with a run, a home run, and an RBI yesterday. (.278, 19 R, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 2 Steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-5 yesterday. (.301, 17 Runs, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 6 Steals on the season).
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Matt Cain at Miami Marlins
Matt GarzaÂ at Pittsburgh Pirates
C.J. WilsonÂ at Seattle Mariners
Ubaldo JimenezÂ at Chicago White Sox
Kyle DrabekÂ at Texas Rangers
Luke HochevarÂ at Baltimore Orioles
R.A. DickeyÂ vs. San Diego Padres
Erik BedardÂ vs. Chicago Cubs
Rick PorcelloÂ at Minnesota Twins
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Jose ReyesÂ is 9-for-17 (.529) with five extra-base hits in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Matt Cain.
- David OrtizÂ is 6-for-15 (.400) with one home run in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jeremy Hellickson.
- Carlos BeltranÂ is 14-for-42 (.333) with two home runs and 10 RBI in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Roy Halladay.
- Ichiro SuzukiÂ is 9-for-43 (.209) in his career against todayâ€™s starter, C.J. Wilson.
- Adam DunnÂ is 5-for-25 (.200)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Troy TulowitzkiÂ is 1-for-13 (.077) in his careerÂ against todayâ€™s starter,Â Kyle Lohse.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Greg Marta previews today’s starting pitchers in the latest edition ofÂ Pitch or Ditch.
- Collin Hager says “screw you” to Twitter and gives you WAY more than 140 characters (1,700+ words to be exact) in this week’s Hit or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin takes a look at early-season xFIP in this week’s Leaders and Laggards.
- Struggling with how much to offer in your FAAB league? Don’t worry, Markus Potter’sgot you coveredÂ with his FAABwire post for this week.
- Dave Shovein takes a look ahead at Week Nine”sÂ Double Starters.
- Matthew Dewoskin does a great job of updating the latest closer news in this week’sÂ Blown Opportunities.
- Albert Lang is back with this week’sÂ Hot N Cold All-StarsÂ (Katy Perry music included)!
- Editor-in-Chief Patrick DiCaprio is back with his patented Closer Identifier Alogrithm andÂ the latest update to his CIA spreadsheet.
- And of course, don’t forget to check out Patrick DiCaprio and the rest of the crew on this week’sÂ Fantasy Baseball Roundtable Show!