Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure youâ€™re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing theÂ FP911Challenge!
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Wednesday, May 23rd.
5 Good Nights
- Nick Johnson:Â 2-3, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Alex Rodriguez:Â 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Cole Hamels:Â 8.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 8 K’s, W
- Chris Sale:Â 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 6 K’s, W
- Kevin Millwood:Â 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 K’s, W
Honorable Mention: Paul Konerko, Alex Liddi, Troy Tulowitzki, Aramis Ramirez, Ryan Roberts, J.D. Martinez, Aaron Hill, B.J. Upton, Ian Kinsler, Colby Rasmus, Joe Mather, Eric Hosmer, Xavier Avery, Joaquin Arias, Carlos Lee, Carlos Ruiz, Jason Kipnis, Shane Victorino, Will Venable, Kelly Shoppach, Jered Weaver, Jonathon Niese, James Shields, Tommy Hanson, Andy Pettitte, Edwin Jackson, Wandy Rodriguez, Charlie Morton, Jarrod Parker, Bronson Arroyo, Doug Fister, Zach McAllister, Jeff Samardzija, Scott Diamond
5 Bad Nights
- Rafael Dolis:Â 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 BB’s, 1 K
- Ted Lilly:Â 3.1 IP, 9 H, 8 ER, 5 BB’s, 3 K’s
- Carlos Zambrano: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 7 ER, 3 BB’s, 3 K’s
- David Ortiz: 0-5
- Mike Trout:Â 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie, J.P. Arencibia, Mark Trumbo, Will Smith, Barry Zito, Scott Feldman, Jeff Suppan, Joe Saunders, Alex White, Ricky Romero, Jake Arrieta
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Ernesto Frieri picked up the save for the Angels yesterday, but there isn’t a closer controversy (yet) since the save came in extra innings after Scott Downs had alreadyÂ been used. Frieri is still a must-add for those of you in roto leagues as he’s putting up ridiculous numbers (8 2/3 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, 19.73 K/9 IP) since being traded to the Angels.
- David Robertson (oblique) is due to return from the disabled list next weekend, and Yankees manager, Joe Girardi, is still waffling as to whether Robertson will be the closer upon his return or if Rafael Soriano will keep the job. This is a situation we all need to keep an eye on, but it might not be a bad idea to stash Robertson on your DL if you can.
- Mike Morse (shoulder) is due to return to the Nationals’ lineup June 8th against the Red Sox. Morse was a top-80 preseason pick and has plenty of potential to help fantasy lineups as long as he’s healthy, so make sure he’s not sitting on your waiver-wire.
- Desmond Jennings (knee)Â is starting a rehab assignment and has a chance to return to the Rays’ lineup this Sunday (which would be the first day he’s eligible to return).
- Trout/HarperÂ Watch:Â With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up recently, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters for the near future. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab one (or both)!
Bryce Harper: Harper went 1-3 yesterday. (.267, 16 R, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 2 Steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 0-5 yesterday. (.315, 16 Runs, 4 HR, 12 RBI, 6 Steals on the season).
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Justin VerlanderÂ vs. Cleveland Indians
Anibal SanchezÂ vs. San Francisco Giants
Dan HarenÂ at Seattle Mariners
Joe BlantonÂ at St. Louis Cardinals
Justin MastersonÂ vs. Detroit Tigers
Homer BaileyÂ vs. Atlanta Braves
Ryan VogelsongÂ at Miami Marlins
Philip HumberÂ vs. Minnesota Twins
Jason VargasÂ vs. Los Angeles Angels
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Miguel CabreraÂ is 7-for-15 (.467) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Justin Masterson.
- Melky CabreraÂ is 7-for-12 (.583) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Anibal Sanchez.
- Hunter PenceÂ is 7-for-12 (.583) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jake Westbrook.
- Ichiro SuzukiÂ is 15-for-66 (.227) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Dan Haren.
- Carlos BeltranÂ is 3-for-16 (.188)Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Joe Blanton.
- Asdrubal CabreraÂ is 6-for-36 (.167) in his careerÂ against todayâ€™s starter,Â Justin Verlander.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Matthew Dewoskin previews today’s starting pitchers in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Have you ever tried to come up with your own rankings system? Collin Hager has and if you haven’t seen his HVaC rankings, you’re really missing out!
- Matthew Dewoskin does a great job of updating the latest closer news in this week’s Blown Opportunities.
- Albert Lang is back with this week’sÂ Hot N Cold All-StarsÂ (Katy Perry music included)!
- Editor-in-Chief Patrick DiCaprio is back with his patented Closer Identifier Alogrithm andÂ the latest update to his CIA spreadsheet.
- Lenny Melnick takes a look at last night’s action and is talkingÂ David Freese,Â Todd Frazier, and a whole lot more on today’s episode of hisÂ award-winning podcast.
- And of course, don’t forget to check out Patrick DiCaprio and the rest of the crew on last night’s Fantasy Baseball Roundtable Show!