Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure youâ€™re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing theÂ FP911Challenge!
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Sunday, May 13th.
5 Good Nights
- Joey Votto:Â 4-5, 4 R, 3 HR, 6 RBI
- Nelson Cruz:Â 4-5, 3 R, HR, 4 RBI, 1 Steal
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia:Â 3-4, R, HR, 5 RBI
- Wandy Rodriguez:Â 8.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 7 K’s
- Justin Verlander:Â 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 8 K’s, W
Honorable Mention: A.J. Ellis, Giancarlo Stanton, Allen Craig, Casper Wells, Josh Hamilton, Nick Markakis, Ben Zobrist, Gregor Blanco, Jason Heyward, Daniel Nava, Melky Cabrera, Elvis Andrus, Rafael Furcal, Alcides Escobar, Michael Cuddyer, Rajai Davis, Elliot Johnson, A.J. Burnett, Kevin Milwood, Carlos Zambrano, Cole Hamels, Scott Diamond, Philip Humber, Jeff Suppan, Jonathon Niese, Neftali Feliz, Daniel Bard, Luis Mendoza, Jarrod Parker, Tommy Hanson, Jeff Samardzija
5 Bad Nights
- Addison Reed:Â 0.1 IP, 2 H, 6 ER, 3 BB’s, 1 K
- Frank Francisco:Â 0.0 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 0 K’s
- Henry Rodriguez:Â 0.2 IP, 2 H, 4 ER, 0 K’s
- Prince Fielder: 0-5
- Howard Kendrick:Â 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Andres Torres, Omar Infante, Luke Scott, Jed Lowrie, Jordan Schafer, Matt Thornton, Jered Weaver, Heath Bell, Jake Arrieta, Alex White, Joe Saunders, Justin Masterson, Bronson Arroyo, Ricky Romero, Andy Pettitte, Ted Lilly, James Shields, Edwin Jackson
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Matt Kemp left yesterday’s game with an irritated left hamstring and will undergo an MRI today. Kemp has insisted he will not need to be placed on the disabled list, but it looks like fantasy owners will have to get by without the Dodgers’ outfielder for at least today.
- Frank Francisco had an implosion for the second-straight game and will likely be removed from the closer’s role in Queens. Terry Collins will make an announcement today, but it looks like Jon Rauch (and potentially Bobby Parnell) will see some save chances in the near future.
- Nationals catcher, Wilson Ramos ,was diagnosed with a torn ACL and will likely miss the remainder of the season.
- In case you missed it the Saturday night, Grant Balfour, has been removed from the closer’s role in Oakland and will be replaced by Brian Fuentes. Go grab him if you can!
- Trout/HarperÂ Watch:Â With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up recently, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters for the near future. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab one (or both)!
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-5 with two runs yesterday. (.231, 7 R, 3 RBI, 1 Steal on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-4 with one run yesterday. (.306, 8 Runs, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 2 Steals on the season).
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Clayton KershawÂ vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
Kershaw has been his usual dominant self so far this year (4-1, 2.56 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 41 K’s) and faces an Arizona team today that he limited to four earned runs in 25.1 innings last year (1.42 ERA).
Anibal SanchezÂ vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
Sanchez (2-0, 2.01 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 46 K’s) has yet to allow more than two runs in any of his six starts so far this year, and has the good fortune of facing a Pirates team that ranks dead-last in the Majors in runs scored.
Dan HarenÂ vs. Oakland Athletics
Haren’s start to the 2012 season has left something to be desired (1-3, 4.19 ERA, 1.33 WHIP), but today’s start marks a good opportunity to get back on-track as he faces an A’s team that he held to one earned run in 6.2 innings less than a month ago.
Jason HammelÂ vs. New York Yankees
Hammel’s stats so far (4-1, 2.09 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 38 K’s) rank among the league’s best, but the Yankees offense is firing on all cylinders right now (they haven’t scored less than four runs in a game this month) and I’d recommend looking for other options today.
Bruce ChenÂ at Texas Rangers
Chen was a very valuable spot-starter last season, but this is a new year in which he hasn’t allowed less than three runs in four-straight starts and he’s facing dangerous Rangers lineup that leads the Majors in runs scored.
Jason VargasÂ at Boston Red Sox
Vargas has enjoyed a smooth start to the 2012 season (4-2, 2.79 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 38 K’s), but he’s also benefited from an extremely low BABIP (.229) and faces a Red Sox offense than ranks third in the Majors in runs scored.
Ross DetwilerÂ vs. San Diego Padres
Detwiler has been a pleasant surprise so far (3-2, 2.10 ERA, 1.02 WHIP) and looks to build upon that success against the Padres at home today (where he’s only allowed two earned runs in 17.1 inning).
Jake WestbrookÂ vs. Chicago Cubs
Westbrook couldn’t have dreamed of a better start to his season (4-2, 1.76 ERA, 1.07 ERA) and is facing a Cubs team that he held to four hits in seven innings (while only allowing one earned run) a month ago.
Drew SmylyÂ at Chicago White Sox
Smyly (1.59 ERA, 1.09 WHIP) hasn’t allowed more than two earned runs in any of his six starts this year and is pitching on the road today (where he has posted a 1.00 ERA in 18 innings pitched).
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Matt WietersÂ is 7-for-14 (.500) with three home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Ivan Nova.
- Adam LindÂ is 13-for-28 (.464) with three home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jeff Niemann.
- Adam LaRocheÂ is 6-for-12 (.500) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Tim Stauffer.
- Justin UptonÂ is hitless in eight career at-batsÂ against todayâ€™s starter,Â Clayton Kershaw.
- Carlos GonzalezÂ is hitless in eight career at-bats against todayâ€™s starter,Â Ryan Vogelsong.
- Alfonso SorianoÂ is 3-for-25 (.120) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jake Westbrook.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Patrick DiCaprio previews today’s starting pitchers in the latest edition ofÂ Pitch or Ditch.
- Chuck Anderson takes a look at how the Rays have replaced Evan Longoria and how that situation affects your fantasy team in this week’s Position Battles.
- Not sure how much to bid on a certain guy in your FAAB league? Don’tworry, Markus Potter has you covered in this week’s FAABwire for May 14th.
- Chuck Anderson provides an in-depth look at some players to keep on your radar (and some who shouldn’t be on your radar) in this week’s edition of Added and Dropped .
- Lenny Melnick takes a look at last night’s action and dedicates some extra time to David Ortiz and Adam Dunn on today’s episode of hisÂ award-winning podcast.