Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Thursday, May 10th.
5 Good Nights
- C.C Sabathia:Â 8.0 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 10 K’s, W
- Stephen Strasburg:Â 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 13 K’s, W
- Miguel Cabrera:Â 4-5, R, 3 RBI
- Derek Holland:Â 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 5 K’s, W
- Brandon Inge: 1-4, R, HR, 4 RBI
Honorable Mention:Â Josh Hamilton, Robinson Cano,Â David Murphy, Wilson Betemit, Adam LaRoche, Eduardo Nunez, Nick Markakis, Yunel Escobar, Michael Brantley, Andy Dirks, Wei-Yin Chen, Kevin Correia, Henderson Alvarez, Max Scherzer, Derek Lowe
5 Bad Nights
- Bartolo Colon:Â 2.1 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 0 K’s
- Josh Beckett:Â 2.1 IP, 7 H, 7 ER, 2 K’s
- Jason Marquis:Â 4.0 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 2 K’s
- Robert Andino: 0-8
- Ben Zobrist:Â 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Prince Fielder, Ian Desmond, Matt Wieters, Michael Young, Alfredo Aceves, Rafael Soriano, David Price, Tommy Hunter, Jim Johnson
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- With the short slate of games last night, there weren’t a lot of newsworthy updates for this morning so I’m going to save you any TMZ-style reporting on Josh Beckett’s latest golf outing and update this section more tomorrow.
- Trout/HarperÂ Watch:Â With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up recently, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters for the near future. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab one (or both)!
Bryce Harper: Harper went 1-4 last night. (.263, 5 R, 3 RBI, 1 Steal on the season).
Mike Trout: The Angels did not play last night. (.289, 6 Runs, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 Steal on the season).
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Yu DarvishÂ vs. Los Angeles Angels
Darvish has had some control issues this year (4.85 B/9IP) as he’s adjusted to his new surroundings , but he’s been stellar otherwise (2.54 ERA, 10.15 K/9IP) and makes for a good play tonight.
Hiroki KurodaÂ vs. Seattle Mariners
If you take away one bad start against the Twins, Kuroda has only allowed one earned run in 15 innings at home this year. Guess where he’s pitching today…
Matt GarzaÂ at Milwaukee Brewers
Garza seems to be over the flu that caused him to miss his last start, and looks ready to pick up where he left off this season (2.67 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 9.63 K/9IP).
Clay Buchholz vs. Cleveland Indians
Maybe I’m just a panicked Red Sox fan (aren’t we all?), but I think something is wrong with Buchholz health-wise as his velocity is down a full two miles per hour from two seasons ago. If you don’t buy into my conspiracy theory, then maybe his numbers so far this year are enough to sway you (9.09 ERA, 2.02 WHIP).
Jamie MoyerÂ at Los Angeles Dodgers
Yes, I know it’s a great story that a 49-year-old man is still pitching in the Majors. That doesn’t mean, however, that I want a guy that throws in the 70’s starting for my fantasy team.
Mike LeakeÂ vs. Washington Nationals
In five starts this season, Leake has yet to allow less than three earned runs (5.97 ERA). He’s also facing a Nationals team that hung five runs on him less than a month ago, so I’m not expecting big things for Mr. Leake today.
Gavin FloydÂ vs. Kansas City Royals
Floyd has been surprisingly effective to start the season (3.03 ERA, 0.96 WHIP) partly due to a decrease in his walk-rate, and hasn’t allowed more than two earned runs in any of his last three starts.
Mark BuehrleÂ vs. New York Mets
Buehrle has really taken to the National League so far (2.83 ERA, 1.09 WHIP) and pitched well against this same Mets squad Â just under three weeks ago (7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER).
Chris CapuanoÂ vs. Colorado Rockies
Capuano has been doing his best to shed the “career journeyman” label this season (4.0, 2.21 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 36 K’s), and his coming off two-straight shut-outs. I’m not sure I’m buying for a full season, but I’ll take the bait today.
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Troy TulowitzkiÂ is 5-for-8 (.625) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Chris Capuano.
- Justin UptonÂ is 7-for-10 (.700) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Madison Bumgarner.
- Adam JonesÂ is 5-for-13 (.385) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jeremy Hellickson.
- Adrian GonzalezÂ is 4-for-26 (.154) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Ubaldo Jimenz.
- Alex RodriguezÂ is 3-for-18 (.167) Â in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Felix Hernandez.
- Andre EthierÂ is 1-for-8 (.125) in his career against todayâ€™s starter,Â Jamie Moyer.
Donâ€™t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Albert Lang previews today’s starting pitchers in the latest edition ofÂ Pitch or Ditch.
- Setting your pitching lineup for next week a little early? Make sure you check out Dave Shovein’s look at next week’s Double Starters first.
- Matthew Dewoskin tries to make sense of the closer carousel in this week’s edition ofÂ Blown Opportunities.
- Collin HagerÂ is back with his patented HVaC system toÂ adjust his top 50 rankingsÂ for all you premium subscribers. You havenâ€™tÂ subscribedÂ yet? What are you waiting for?!?
- Albert Lang gives you this week’sÂ Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-stars.
- Lenny Melnick takes a spin through last night’s action and dedicates some extra time to Stephen Strasburg and Jason Kipnis on today’s episode of hisÂ award-winning podcast.
- Don’t forget to listen to Editor-in-Chief, Patrick DiCaprio and the crew on Wednesday’sÂ Fantasy Baseball Roundtable Show. There was also an addition to theÂ Official Are You Crazy and Bets pageÂ last night, courtesy of Albert Lang.