Each and every day, Iâ€™ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writersâ€™ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
If youâ€™ve been following along with The Mike Trout Watch, make sure you check todayâ€™s â€œDaily Grab Bagâ€ section for some extra special news.
And of course, make sure youâ€™re playing Daily Fantasy Sports atÂ FP911Challenge.com
Before we get to todayâ€™s games, letâ€™s take a spin through last nightâ€™s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Saturday, April 28th.
5 Good Nights
- Nick Swisher: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
- Yadier Molina:Â 4-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI
- Edwin Encarnacion:Â 2-3, R, HR, 5 RBI
- Tim Lincecum:Â 8.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 5 Kâ€™s, W
- Dan Haren:Â 7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 14 Kâ€™s
Honorable Mention:Â Starlin Castro, Desmond Jennings, Jay Bruce, Chris Davis, Lucas Duda, Adrian Beltre, Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Ruiz, Andy Dirks, David Wright, Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Anthony Bass, Joe Blanton, Chad Billingsley, Johnny Cueto, Kevin Millwood, Dan Haren, Wei-Yin Chen, Stephen Strasburg, Â Ian Kennedy, Colby Lewis, Brandon Morrow, Drew Smyly, Erik Bedard
5 Bad Nights
- Freddy Garcia: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 6 ER, 3 Kâ€™s
- Jose Valverde:Â 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 0 Kâ€™s
- Henry Rodriguez:Â 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 Kâ€™s
- Dee Gordon:Â 0-5
- Ian Desmond: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention:Â Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Stephen Lombardozzi, Rafael Furcal, Tyson Ross, Javy Guerra
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Tim Hudson (spinal surgery) will make his season debut for the Braves today. The veteran right-hander threw 5.2 innings and only gave up one run in his last rehab start at Triple-A Gwinnett.
- With Brad Lidge (abdominal strain) hitting the DL, Henry Rodriguez will take over as the sole closer for the Nationals. Rodriguez blew a save against the Dodgers last night, but those were the only two runs heâ€™s allowed all year and it looks as if heâ€™s won the war of attrition in the Natsâ€™ bullpen for now.
- Santiago Casilla recorded his third save of the season last night, and itâ€™s looking as if the Giants have a new de facto closer (apologies to those of you that put your eggs in the Sergio Romo basket).
- Javy Guerra gave up a run last night, which marks the fourth time in his last six appearances that the Dodgersâ€™ closer (for now) has done so. Itâ€™s very possible that Kenley Jansen gets LAâ€™s next save opportunity, and heâ€™s worth grabbing if heâ€™s available in your league.
- Trout/HarperÂ Watch: With two of baseballâ€™s best prospects being called-up on the same day, Iâ€™m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters for the near future. Hereâ€™s to hoping that you were able to grab one (or both)!
Mike Trout: 0-4 (with one strikeout) in his 2012 Major League debut.
Bryce Harper: 1-3 (with one RBI and one laser throw) in his Major League debut.
A quick look at some of todayâ€™s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses).
Madison Bumgarner vs. San Diego Padres
(Bumgarner hasnâ€™t given up more than two runs in three starts since Opening Day, and has the luxury of facing a Padres lineup that ranks 26th in the league in runs scored.)
Gio Gonzalez at Los Angeles Dodgers
(Gonzalez has never faced the Dodgers in his career, but heâ€™s really taken to his move to the National League; as evidenced by his 1.52 ERA and 0.85 WHIP through 23.2 innings this year.)
CC Sabathia vs. Detroit Tigers
(Sabathiaâ€™s ERA of 5.27 doesnâ€™t look all that appetizing, but all three of his bad starts have come on the road this year and he sports a much more palatable 3.95 ERA against the Tigers over the past three seasons.)
Ervin Santana at Cleveland Indians
(I could tell you about how Santana has held the current Indians lineup to a .189 career batting average, but Iâ€™d be remiss if I didnâ€™t highlight the fact that Santana is 0-4 with a 7.23 ERA and 1.52 WHIP so far this season.
Max Scherzer at New York Yankees
(In two starts against the Yankees last season, Scherzer let up 10 runs in 18 innings (4.15 ERA) and his 8.24 ERA to start the 2012 season isnâ€™t helping his case much eitherâ€¦)
David Price at Texas Rangers
(Price has started two games at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington over the last three seasons, and the only parting gift heâ€™s left Texas with is a 15.63 ERA in those two games.)
Derek Lowe vs. Los Angeles Angels
(On a day lacking great spot-start options, Lowe looks like a decent play as heâ€™s started the season strong with a 3.00 ERA and is coming off a six-inning start during which he only allowed one run.)
Bartolo ColonÂ at Baltimore Orioles
(He may sometimes resemble Sideshow Bob, but Colon hasnâ€™t allowed a run in two road starts this season and he also posted a 1.52 ERA in three starts against the Oâ€™s last year.)
Tim HudsonÂ vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
(Itâ€™s always a little risky starting a guy coming off an injury, but guess whoâ€™s last in the Majors in runs scored?)
Todayâ€™s Swings and Misses
- Miguel Cabrera is 9-for-16 (.563) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter, C.C. Sabathia.
- David Ortiz is 7-for-22 (.318) with three home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Gavin Floyd.
- Matt Holliday is 5-for-15 (.333) with three home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Zack Greinke.
- Ian Desmond is 3-for-6 (.500) with two home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Chris Capuano.
- David Wright is 22-for-53 (.415) with four home runs in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Jamie Moyer.
- Corey Hart is 9-for-21 (.429) in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Jaime Garcia.
- Evan Longoria is 6-for-13 (.462) with five extra-base hits in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Derek Holland.
- Asdrubal Cabrera is 2-for-19 (.105) in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Ervin Santana.
- Alex Rodriguez is 0-for-8 in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Max Scherzer.
- Josh Hamilton is 2-for-13 (.154) in his career against todayâ€™s starter, David Price.
- Paul Konerko is 1-for-10 (.100) in his career against todayâ€™s starter, Josh Beckett.
If you have any questions, comments, complaints, or have a suggestion on a feature youâ€™d like to see covered in these daily reports, please email me atÂ FantasyTrade411@gmail.comÂ and Iâ€™ll be happy to respond.
Donâ€™t forget to check out some of the other great content on FantasyPros911, starting with some of todayâ€™s recent updates:
- Greg Marta takes a look at today’s starting pitchers in the latest edition ofÂ â€œPitch or Ditchâ€.
- Collin Hager previews this weekâ€™sÂ hitter’s in “Hit or Ditch”.
- Matthew Dewoskin takes a look at Leaders and Laggards through a BABIP lenseÂ for all your premium subscribers. You havenâ€™tÂ subscribedÂ yet? What are you waiting for?!?
- Editor-in-Chief, Patrick DiCaprio, inducts inaugural member, Pete Reiser, into theÂ Alternative Universe Hall of Fame.
See you tomorrow!